Saturday, August 8, 2009

when to blow the horn

A few years ago, I went to a bachelorette party for a dear friend of mine in Boston. We found this really great bar with dueling piano men. Oh cool, So, we rocked it out for a while dumped a bunch of money at the bar on juiced down drinks. Collectively we decided to ask a piano man to play a song inline with the stupid but wicked fun game we were playing. So armed with my best intentions I drop the request in the basket ontop of the piano with the game card attached. He looks at me oddly and continues to play. At this moment I realize best intentions are not good enough. He is playing for money. Thats all he cares about. Not the twenty-five women buying drinks at the bar or the general happiness of the audience. He never plays the song but scores $65 to STOP playing the yankees baseball song.
Okay, So whats the point of this you ask?
Did I send out my manuscript with the best intentions and really didn't know I needed to 'tip' the editor, assitant, editor, INTERN? Is there a part of this industry I just don't know? Is the tip supposed to be kickass brownies or high end swag? I know the point of the industry is to produce income, but WHO DO I NEED TO BRIBE?

No comments:

Post a Comment