Friday, November 13, 2009

NESCBWI and the Rogue Red Pen

Recently, I received an e-mail from Nescbwi inviting me to join an online picture book critique group. So, I decided to try it out. Shazaamm, first book, critiqued. Although now I am not sure how much critiquing is acceptable. I tore through it like a teacher with an inspired red pen and e-mailed it to her as an attachment. Having a little red pen guilt I decided to read the other comments posted in the discussion section and gain perspective. OMG. The trend is three paragraphs, each containing an abstract point flanked with comments about how great it is.

My choices

A. RUN, fast, don't tell them where to find me.

B. Be proud that I am not part of the pact and stand strong in my independence.

C. Prepare an apology note saturated with kindness and loving support.

D. Pretend I AM a teacher with a rogue red pen.

For those of you who ask "How bad can it be?"

I answer, "Red, Really Red"

I come from the standpoint that I would want someone to do it for me. I want somebody to be really hard on me. I want the criticism. I want to look at my work with different eyes. I want to be challenged. Yes, it can hurt my feelings. Who is going to win in the end?

I would like to get some feedback about other online etiquette that I should know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment